Sunday 29 April 2012

A Painless Break Up

It was a painless break up. My shortest relationship lasted four days. They say follow your heart, right now I am going to tell you every reason not to.

We met at a restaurant. It had umbrellas and seats. She sat alone, I sat alone on the table thereto. I pretended to be very busy typing something into my Qwerty. She also pretended to be very busy reading a novel. I know she was pretending cause when you read something nice you don't keep noticing people passing by.

My eyes were steadfast on my phone, hers were in the book. But even with our heads facing down, the corner of our eyes met each other.

"I like Sydney Sheldon..."

She smiled and offered...

"I like her to."

"she is a he, no, sorry, he is a he. Don't you know?"

"you aren't serious...his lead characters are all women..."

She offered me a seat. We sat together. She was also traveling, who knew we would end up seated next to each other in the plane.

She was beautiful, her bosom was large. I wanted to settle down, all my friends had anyways. She wore a hat, it covered part of her hair. She looked borderline nice. She is one of those girls that you somehow felt looked nice today but you couldn't tell how they would look wearing something different. But I had been alone for sometime. I wanted someone. Besides, she laughed nicely. And during take off, she seemed calm, I wasn't. I never am.

We took a bus to town. That green or was it blue bus that stops at Kencom or somewhere thereabout in town literally took a route we had never seen before. It was like that part of Nairobi was not Nairobi. It looked nothing like a city, the passengers boarded with chicken, buckets, mattresses and some cockroaches. The road was dusty, people had mud around their shoes. The road felt old. The bus felt old. The smells were bad and moved as slow as the whole place. Everything overtook us even people walking!

We both vowed to never use a bus again. But at least we spent longer together that day. But still, too long.

On that basis, on the basis that we needed to remind each other never to use that bus again to town, we exchanged numbers. 

At one of those parties where you rent a house at the beach, you attend where everyone is someone, and you know no one, but everyone would know you if you devised a new way of smoking shisha. Everyone got to know her. The manner in which she smoked got her popular. Suddenly everyone was talking to her, that smoking style was coined in her name. 

It was wonderful. Oh it was. Especially cause all of a sudden I was alone at the party. No one to talk to. She was at the corridor, surrounded by around four men. They were laughing at her jokes.

I paced around. I sat watching television. Until I got mad.

There I was step, after step after step. To the corridor. I pushed everyone of my way. And planted a kiss on her lips, in the middle of everyone, in the middle of her sentence, my tongue seized the middle of her lips.

I literally talked her into heading with me upstairs. In one of those rooms at a party. I talked her into it. And I talked her into playing with my head like she was having a soar throat.

I slept. 

I don't know where she went afterwards. In the morning all I know is I woke up alone, the people cleaning woke me up telling me, if I wanted to stay I would have to pay for another day.

I later got to know she left for home.

"hello... You left?"

"yeah... Got tired."

"what time..."

"I can't remember,"

"why didn't you tell me..."

"let's meet tomorrow and talk about it."

"by the way can I ask you something?"

"sure..."

"no, let me not ask, I know you will get mad"

"no, chic, just ask I wont get mad,"

"you will..."

"no, I will not argh..."

"fine. I'll tell you."

"can... You hook me up with him?"

"are, you serious? I didn't know anyone there."

"can I hook up with him?"

Line dead*

I don't know what the hell happened after that. But I remember sitting at some restaurant in town with her across the table and a relationship between us. We were together romantically. We had been for four days.

And to be honest, I hate how her boobs looked without her bra. I hated how her shoulders looked in a bareback, they were a bit crude. I didn't like the golden bracelet she wore on her arm. It looked too gold. I loved the way she talked, but I hated the way she felt. Her body felt watery, too watery like it was weak. I didn't like being seen with her most times, when she got wet it smelled. It's not like she didn't shower but I just didn't like it. I knew I didn't like all these but I still went on disregarding what my mind told me, instead I followed my heart.

I learned team work from that, that as much as people ask you to follow your heart. You should support the teamwork between your heart and your mind. It's goes against the norm of culture to not do what your mind tells you. But haven't you even yourself seen the results of following your heart without thinking?

It was a painless break up. When something that is nothing and has always been nothing breaks, you feel nothing.