Tuesday 19 June 2012

My nervous comfort zone.

so am in court. Not the magistrate court. The high court. I have sat closest to the door. My heart is beating a little too fast. Am breathing a little too fast.

This is going to be my hang out spot, for the next three months. Then for the rest of my life. I am trying to hold my hands together. To stop them from shaking.

The court room is empty, except for four people. There is an almost beautiful painfully young lady in a light green sweater, and a guy with a new yet-to-su-comfortable suit seated next to her. I bet they are interns. Usually they are the ones too eager to learn, suck up, make an impression. So maybe that's why they are here before the court cases start. Are they going to start?

It would be easy for me to just walk out. I am not sure the cases are going to continue for the afternoon. But the court clerks have loads of files on their tables. So... Most likely the cases will continue.

I know what the files are about. I haven't read them but I know. They hold evidence. In those files everything is recorded. Everyone standing before the court has a file. His or her name is written in the files. Their freedom, their justice. Sentences will be read. Verdict will be made. People will be screwed, people will be given justice some will pay fines.

Reality TV shows are dramatic, big brother Africa, and what not. Tusker project fame and all else. Fortune or you go home with empty hands, a public failure. The judges decide. You either become famous or fade out into oblivion. The judges decide.

But what about court. Imagine, there you are. You didn't think you will ever make it here. But one day while you were driving, you were talking on the phone. And shit happened as you drove. You got arrested.

Before even you had time to change from your club night clothes you found yourself before a court. You are in the system. Your phone battery was low so you couldn't call your friends. Or you simply can't remember their numbers off head.

And the cop that arrested you puts you before court, or another cop. And they read to you your offence in English. But English you can't understand. You are before an audience. And you start thinking. How did things get this far. I never thought I would end up in such a situation.

You are asked to sit down next to people with dirty clothes, men dressed all in black, off faded black cause they are thieves. They too didn't have time to change. Suddenly you are grouped together with them.

They read your name...

"guilty or not guilty"

You watch the clerk pick up your file. And you see bobby seated on the last bench. They already have a file on you? What is written there?

"do you reject or accept the charges made against you?"

Everyone is looking at you. Except the judge who is just waiting for you to talk so that he can write. The court clerk is facing you with her head tilted, mercy in her eyes, she is expecting you to reply.
You don't know what to say. Should you accept of reject? Should you lie or not lie? You are alone here. But out there you have so many people who can help you. Out there you are a powerful person. But you haven't had time to call your big guns to help. It happened all so fast.

You are next to robbers and murders. You are next to thieves the people you put electric fences around your house for. Oh my.

it is nothing like big brother africa. Nothing. Nothing. Its life or death for you. You see it happen. You accept it. But you don't know what the hell is going on.

I am in court, just to learn via osmosis. I am in court, just to watch. So that when its my time to seat legally in front there as an advocate. I will be ready.

I will not be holding my hands together under my desk to keep them still. I will not be trying to understand how everything works. I am getting my hand still right now. Sitting here texting, blogging so that court feels like a place I am used to. I know how it works, I know what to do when to do.

A few more years I will be ready. This is my throne. And we shall rule. It takes 4 hours a day, everyday of 6years to become an expert at what you do. This is the end of this post but it is the beginning.


Sent from my BlackBerry®