Thursday 21 June 2012

What & not Who makes your heart skip a beat.

The stars are in the sky. Being above the clouds is the most relaxing place you can be. Imagine the puffiness of the clouds. The beauty of the sun rise and sun set from up there. Just imagine.

Just imagine, when it rains, every time there is thunder, it will be under you. You will be above it. That's why you should aim at above the clouds. Even when the ground is messy down here, it always helps when you can look up to the skies. It helps when it's a clear sky, cloudless so that the stars a clear. 

The stars for me is not a red carpet, no. It's not cameras all over, no. It's not with a microphone in front of a million people singing, no. What is it? High court.

This is the second day in court, hi court (pun intended). I have to emphasise that cause the structures are different from other courts. This place feels more of a court than the other courts. Its majestic in its own ways. Benches, and the floor elaborate wood for both. Men in dark suits. 

There is a guy in uniform, the cop that seats next to witnesses. I don't know what there name is. He is the one dressed in green. 

I still seat on the other end of the court room. Aiming at the stars is seating in front of the court. On the front benches, everything that disturbs my finding my way there are clouds, and i have to rise above them. I first sat on the last bench for a second or two, the guy seated next to me looked a little crude. First of all he was dressed as a young person. Then he is young! A puffy jacket, jeans and sneakers. There is no way I was going to remove my tab from my bag next to him. How now? They were a little dirty by the way. I moved to a different bench. Further in front. He looked scary.

Especially looking at the guy in the stand. He is a muscular guy, more far than muscular. He must be a thief I conclude, maybe related to the guy seated behind me? What other business would he have in court than being a relative to the accused? The accused is really big like a baba. He is wearing a rain jacket. Puffy. Blue. This is Kenya not Europe. No winter. Thief I swear.

The judge just walked in, red tie, argyle sweater (like mine) hehe, dark brown suit. Very proper.

If I were the judge I wouldn't release this guy on bond. Let him go free? the way he looks? His demenor, come on? But I guess that's why am not a judge. 

Ati sasa his lawyer has applied to him to get released on bond. Usually when you are arrested but your case is still being heard, the whole idea of retaining you in a cell is that you don't escape court. But you can leave the log book of your car to make sure you attend court. (the court doesn't trust people) From what I could hear he had left his log book with the court. His lawyer was applying that he is released on bond, he be  released until his case is heard? My foot. He would go steal again, he looks scary. 

"where does he work?" 
The judge asked him. (off the record) 

"self employed."

What? See what I mean. Heavy guy with muscles, with a left eye heavily wounded. As in someone had beaten him up. He was wearing cuffs. Standing there like he was innocent. Is this the kind of person you release back to the world? Back to society. He will kill everyone, rob everyone. His aim will be revenge to those that reported him. Black eye? Where did he get it from? He looked crude.

"you aren't even interested in your log book" the judge asked.

To make matters worse he had stand as assurity for someone else. Meaning, if you were supposed to attend court, sometimes the judge would ask someone else to make a promise on your behalf that you would attend. Not Bobby, someone, like your father, friend, lawyer, so that if you run away it will be your lawyer in shit. It helps thieves attend court, we all have a heart for the people we love.

So he had stood as assurity for someone else in another case, and the poor bustard who was supposed to attend court skipped. He just didn't show up. Maybe thats when he left his log book?  

So the fellow standing in front of me was in double shit. First, he has his on case going, the one I think caused his black eye. Then the second one was for vouch for some guy who skipped court.

It wasn't looking good. So how did this guy own a car? I assume, like society assumes, if you own a car, somehow you are organized, you care not to get in trouble cause you have lots to lose. That's the only reason why I decided to be open to give him benefit of doubt.

"motorcycle log book... You don't care about it?"

Really? A motorcycle? You own a motorcycle. Mwizi wewe! I though it was a car log book. Motorcycle. There was no way you were going to convince me this guy was not guilty! 

But maybe that's why am not a judge. Cause I hadn't looked at his file, evidence, basically his story, police reports. I was relying on my eyes, my ears, what was said, and not all was said mattered. This is not Boston Legal, or some other Legal Television Drama. There are papers to be read. Laws to be applied into context. 

But right now all I have is my eyes, looking up at the skies, just observation how everyone stands up and bows, only sitting after the judge seats. Am just watching, advocates in dark suits, some with ill fitting suits, others smelling like success and some sense of humor to cream it all up. Pure entertainment.

"I am releasing you on a 50,000 Kenyan shillings bond reluctantly."

What the fuck? Was the judge really letting him go? He looks as guilty as fuck. He looks scary, he looks like he will go terrorizing people out there. I really hope the judge was realizing this guy not out of mercy, cause everyone on the streets will be at his mercy. Even you using your device to read this. He looked like he would have your throat just to take away your device. And not to read my blog. To sell it... And maybe buy a gun to steal some more, kill some more, terrorize some more.

The court clerk bangs (knocks) the table thrice or four times. I automatically rise up like everyone else. The judge rises up and walks out. People begin to chat. I am here cause i want everything to be automatic when it is my chance to battle. When opposing counsel is trying to understand when to rise or seat, i am trying to understand things that will make me win cases. 

These are my stars, this is where am aiming at, above the clouds, these are my stars, writing is beautiful. But the court room is what stirs stuff in me. It's almost, it's almost, it's almost... It's almost as if it is what makes my heart skip a beat.