Monday 4 June 2012

Hours, years & simple mathematics

For my birthday, in a post I did on my last blog, as in my last blog, not my last blog post had something about talking my girl to out of the country sometime this month. The exact picture was she would be in a plane, watching the clouds from above. On my birthday, she was on a plane or right, but not one that swift her away from the country, but brought here to where I am. Which is good enough. I guess dreams come true in ways we don't imagine?

I had exams the next day, I love that my birthday is on the constitution, for the rest of my life Madaraka Day will be a holiday. I intend to be in Kenya every day of that month every year of my life. To watch the cities straffic stop, shops close, school take a break, cops match, flags raised. Wouldn't you feel important if you were born on 1st June?

Only problem is I had exams the next day, so they say it takes 10,000 hours to be a superstar in your field. That means that I have to read and practice law for 4 hours for 6 years before I become a super star lawyer. That means, every day, somewhere between twira, blogging, flirting, and television I have to dedicate 4 whole hours? Why all the sacrifice?

Cause I want to be good, I goof around, and society is organized in such a way that when you are good at something, and you goof around people always say something like... "you c nani over there, nani has issues, mazee, he doesnt even say hi to people, he thinks his all that But he is a really good lawyer"
That's called forgiveness, people forgive you when you are good at something, and people show you respect. Why would I bother to be a good lawyer?

Cause when things get thick you see a lawyer, and when he unthickens you situation, he saves you from the embarrassment of shitting in your pants when the law has you by your nuts. You feel relieved. Have you ever saved someone's life? You should try it, when you do people feel like they owe you their lives. But you only can save someone's live or make it better when you put 10,000 hours, which is 4hours everyday, for 6years learning your craft, no matter what it is. If you are a good doctor, you will treat better than any other doctor, if you are an accountant, you will device legal tax avoidance strategy that boasts up you clients cheque, who doesn't want that? If you are a driver and you are reading this, you will drive so well and yet so fast but my coffee will not spill as you do your maneuvers, and I will retain you for that. No, drivers don't read my post? Okay, if you were a masseurs like the one at my barbershop if you put 10,000hours, 4hours a day, for 6years, both learning how to improve you craft and engaging in it, you could start uttering such...

"you know what, I am coming to work when I want to come to work, you know if I move I will move with all your clients, please don't disturb me, and get the fuck off my call,"

And that might be your boss. C they say you can buy anything. Money is the commodity that can literally turn into anything, it can even open doors, if can turn into anything literally, it's like magic, when you have it, you say 'dog' they bring a dog for you. If you utter 'cow' they will bring it. It's liquid, it's magic it can turn into anything, fast.

But when your kid has parked your car in a foreign town where no one knows it's you car and the municipal council guys in there yellow jackets clump your car for not paying parking fee. There will be a guy, who doesn't know you spent 4hours for 6straight years learning your craft, so that it all amounted to 10,000 hours. He wouldn't know that, all he will know is that there was one time he was in shit.

And he came to you, and since you take time to do you work well, you saved him from prison, or a lawsuit that would wipe out all the work he has ever done at the fall of a hammer. And he will take out his wallet.

"nitalipa... Dont clump that car"

"is it yours..."

"shida nini ni, c am paying, it's not your job to ask who the car belongs to..."

"nilikuwa na uliza tu."

"bass wacha kuuliza kazi yako nikuchukuwa pesa na kuenda"

No one likes there car being clumped. And when you kid always finds that every time he uses his dads old her, or she uses her dads old car, or their mum's someone somewhere feels like it's time to return a favor, every time they use those cars, no some good Samaritan always pays for the parking fees, or chases away thieves.

"Kama unaona lazima uibe, please try the next car, not that one."

It all starts with 4hours everyday, in 6years, for 10,000 to write a post like this, and money can't buy the skill to write such a post. Somehow.